Welcome to 8th Grade!
Last Day of School: May 23, 2013
I'll see 4th and 6th periods on Thursday, and we have one last assignment that's a bonus to your final exam grade. All grades will be finalized by May 24.
If you are going to Kell, be sure to read Divergent this summer and check out their directions for the summer reading assignment on their website. Honors students must also read Farenheit 451.
If you are going to North Cobb, be sure to look at their website for the summer reading: there is a list and specific directions. You'll have to write an essay on the book when you start your literature class. If you are Honors Lit, the assignment is required. If you are not honors, you may do the assignment for extra credit.
- SAT Flash Cards
- STEMS Flahs Cards (Greek and Latin stems)
Follow Mrs. S on Twitter @stillermanteach
Find a Book!
- The 2012-2013 8th Grade ELA Syllabus Download ELASyllabusonlevel
- The 2012-2013 8th Grade AC-ELA Syllabus will be here soon! Download ELASyllabusAC
- Blue and black pens and #2 pencils. Students must bring writing utensils to class daily.
- Students will need a spiral bound notebook (Between a 70 count or 100 count, 3-hole-punched) for Language Arts. They are expected to bring this to class each and every day, use it only for Language Arts, and not remove any pages from it.
- A two-pocket folder (prongs are not necessary)
- Glue sticks (to paste handouts into notebook)
- Filler paper (college-ruled) to keep in your binder. Make sure you get extra packets while they are on sale at the beginning of the school year. You will need filler paper all year!
- Online textbook available at www.classzone.com. Simply set up your account by using this activation code: 3532040-30. If you need assistance, email me.
- Online Essay Scorer: http://essayscorer.com/ph/ga/pm. Type in your Log In (your lunch #) and password (cobb09).
- HELP WITH GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION, AND MECHANICS: Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL) is a great online resource for writing conventions. There are practice exercises, too.
- ONLINE TUTORIALS FOR LANGUAGE ARTS & READING @ www.myskillstutor.com. Log on with your lunch number, password: cobb, and palmer01 as the site. Click on the "Mrs. Stillerman" apple for reviews designed for specific skills.
Download helpful handouts:
- Elements of Narrative: Download Elements-of-Narrative
- Narrative rubric: Download Narrativerubric
- AC Students will be reading A Midsummer Night's Dream - there is an annotated version here: http://quarles.unbc.ca/midsummer/amnd5-1.html
- Transitions for different purposes ( Download Transition-words-phrases)
- Harry Noden's Brushtrokes (Download Brushoverview)
- Brushstrokes Portfolio Phase 1: Download Brushstrokes Portfolio
- Common Prepositions Download Prepositionschecklist
- Stems Lists: Download ALL Stems
- Top 100 SAT Vocabulary: Download Top 100 SAT Vocabulary